Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Paper Cup Flower Tutorial

Today is my mom's birthday.  My daughter and I made these fun little flowers to add to her gift.  Mostly, we did it so that I could try my hand at making a tutorial.  So, here it goes.


Here are the needed supplies:      
                                                      Paper Cups (as many as you want flowers)
                                                      Bendy Straws
                                                      Yellow Card stock
                                                      Glue (I used hot glue)
                                                      Scissors
                                                      Hole Punch



First I cut a slit down the length of the cup.


Then I cut off the rolled top of the cup.


Then, cut slits down the length of the cup about 1/4 inch apart.


Make a straw sized hole in the middle of the cup.  Flare the strips out and punch holes at the end of each strip.


Next, I used my fingers to round the strips.   This made the flower look rounder, and kept the strips from creasing when I brought them to the middle in the next step.  Speaking of the next step.  You bring the strip up to the center and push the straw through the cut out hole.  I put a dab of hot glue between each strip to hold them down.



As you can see, I did every other strip and then went back and did the others.  On some of the flowers I just went around the flower putting the strips down in order.  It's really your choice.  



Here is what the back of the flower looks like.


Once all of the "Petals" are made, it is time to make the center.  First, cut a 2 inch piece off of the yellow card stock and fold it in half.



Cut slits, almost to the edge, on the folded side of the card stock.  You can use this piece to make the centers of several flowers.  Cut the "fringe" in a length that will wrap around the straw.



Glue the fringed card stock piece around the straw.


The finished flower will look like this.


Make as many flowers as you would like for your bouquet.  I hope you enjoyed my first tutorial.  It was definitely a lot of fun for me to make.


I linked to these linky parties:








3 comments:

  1. What a fun craft to do with my kids! They would think this is totally cool! I am highlight this at somedaycrafts.blgospot.com. Grab my "featured" button. Welcome to blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat! That's a really cool and creative craft. I know my kiddos are going to love doing these flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super idea!! Very clever:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me! Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you think.